There has been a greater interest in sustainable packaging material like honeycomb packaging, as manufacturers are more inclined nowadays to create products that will have the least negative impact on the environment. We can all do our part in helping save the environment by learning how to dispose of our trash properly, or in some cases, upcycle them.
One man’s trash is another one’s treasure, so the saying goes. However, in today’s time, your trash can still be repurposed and reused to other uses to become a new treasure. All you need is a little creativity and some know-how.
Repurposing and Reusing Old Stuff For a Greener Earth
We have listed some ideas to convert your disposables into something you might find useful. Here are some of them:
- Old Ladder Bookshelf – Create a shelf for your books with an old ladder. You can hang the ladder on your wall or add some wooden planks to the tiers and place it against the wall.
- Vintage Suitcase Chair – Convert an old suitcase into an interesting piece of furniture that’s sure to strike up a conversation. See Kate Sew has the tutorial.
- Cardboard Box Storage Basket – Take an old cardboard box, remove the flaps, decorate it, and you have yourself a neat looking basket for your magazines or arts and crafts materials. Get the instructions at Elizabeth Joan Designs.
- Coffee Can Planters – Convert old cans of coffee into planters for your herbs or succulents. The Wicker House has instructions for this idea. You may also convert larger cans like garbage cans as a mobile garden.
- Shutter Headboard – Don’t get rid of your old shutters. With a little work and some paint, they make for a great headboard.
- Kids’ Stair Post Desk – The neat thing about repurposing is taking an old piece of furniture and creating an entirely different one breathing new life into it. This stair post desk is one classic example.
- Folding Chair Closet – Gather a few beater wooden chairs and hang them on the wall just like you would a painting. Unfold them as you would when you want to sit on them and voila! You have yourself some hanging closet space.
- Racket Wall Mirrors – For the sporty types, this racket wall mirror can add plenty of character to your space. A quick trip to the glass shop does the trick.
- Hacks for Tic Tacs – Like Tic Tacs much? Don’t throw the plastic boxes away. You can still turn them into hairpin holders (or whatever small objects fit). Go to Laura Trevey for the tutorial.
- Tissue Box Desk Organizer – Hold on to those Kleenex boxes. They can still be dressed up as desk organizers to keep your desk — well, of course — organized. Check out Domestically Blissful for the directions.
- Wooden Door Art – Turn any piece of a wooden door into an artwork that can be the focal point of a room. Get the guide from HGTV.
- Wallpaper Vanity – Whoever said wallpaper is just for walls? Give your dull bathroom vanity a fresh and more updated look by wallpapering it.
Upcycling can be lots of fun with a little creativity. You not only help save the environment, but you also get to create items that are way cooler than their original design.